Sunday, November 24, 2013

Weekly Roundup - November 17th - 23rd

Actively watching: [a lot of Hakuouki AMVs on YouTube]
Actively playing: Assassin's Creed III (Xbox 360),  Knack (PS4), Contrast (PS4), Crazy Market (Vita)
Actively reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)

I originally went with "currently playing," but ultimately that would make the list a lot longer, since I can jump around a lot. I just decided to go with whatever I was actively enjoying this past week.

I dabbled around with the PS4 this week after downloading the 1.51 update, and everything seems to be working a lot better than it did on day one. I played around with Contrast when I first got the PS4, and certainly enjoyed it. I decided I wanted to give one of the retail titles a try, so I popped in Knack.

I was quite pleasantly surprised by Knack. While I hadn't read any of the reviews myself, I had read in a few discussions that a lot of so-called "professional" reviewers had torn the game to shreds. Other than the fact that no one paid them to give it a high score, or they're pansies that thought the game was too hard, I can't see why anyone would actually trash the game. For being a launch title, and especially for being "kiddie game," it's actually a pretty solid title. It's challenging--albeit a bit unforgiving--it looks good, the controls are responsive, and it's certainly a higher quality than what I expect from most launch titles. All and all I'm happy with my purchase.

I did give the remote play with the Vita a try when I first got the console, and it was definitely sketchy at best, but haven't had a chance to really go back and try again after the 1.51 update. I personally use my Vita for messaging a lot though, as it's a lot easier than using the controller to type, and I'm already used to using the Smart Glass app on my phone to accomplish the same thing on my 360.

So far I'm not regretting my PS4 purchase, and I'm really excited to see what the 8th generation of gaming has in store!

-Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment